Halifax Coast Guard Radio Callsign "VCS"
Please click on the small image for a larger version.
|.The Operations Building Albro Lake 1943. This was the operations building for the British Commonwealth Communications Scheme from January 1st, 1946, until it was moved and combined with Halifax Marine Radio VCS on April 1st, 1964. This was the Western North Atlantic portion of the British Commonwealth Communications Scheme with call sign CFH.|
The antenna farm CamperdownRadio VCS September 1949.
|The motor generator and battery room in background Chebucto Direction Finding Station VAV 1920.|
|The Camperdown Wireless Station 1905 to 1926. The call sign was HX from 1905 to 1907. MHX from 1907 until 1912. Then VCS from 1912 until 1926. This station had a landline telegraph circuit to Halifax. The Camperdown call code was CD and it was on a line with no other station but Halifax AX. The operators operating these stations in this area had to use both codes. The American or Morse landline code and the Continental Radio Code over the radio until August 1956. This first station worked any ship in its immediate area but its main job was to collect traffic from Sable Island and Cape Sable. Sable Island had call sign SD, then MSD and then VCT during the time period described above. Cape Sable had call sign SB, then MSB and then VCU.|
|This is the crew erecting the mast for the main aerial at the Camperdown Wireless Station in 1905. Left to right in the photo is: Alf Pettipas, B. S. Y. Clifton, Captain Henry R. Cork, the next two are unknown, J. D. Taylor, Sam Pettipas and the unknown rigger.||The operating position of the Chebucto Direction Finding Station VAV, 1920.|
|This is Chebucto Head Lighthouse off in the distance taken from the signal tower at Camperdown just prior to World War II. The first Radio Direction Finding Station in Canada opened at this site in 1917 with call sign VAV. The Marconi Company closed Camperdown VCS in 1926. The service provided by the VCS station was moved to VAV at that time. This combined service from VAV was from 1926 until 1935|
|. This is the first ship to contact the Camperdown Wireless Station. This contact was made on June 19th, 1905. This is the Dominion Government Steamer (DGS) CANADA. She was one of the first three Canadian ships fitted with wireless in 1904. Her wireless call sign was CT then MCT and then VDC.|
|Radio operator Stan Cairns operating the first teletype installed in August 1956 that replaced the old landline telegraph line. Stan retired as the Senior Operations Supervisor.||Once or twice a year they get a severe freezing rain storm in the area. This is antenna repairs to Camperdown Radio VCS in 1938.|
|Operating position Camperdown Radio 1950's. The receiver on the left is a RCA AR88. A Canadian Marconi CSR5 receiver is sitting on top of a Philips BX925. The transmitters at this station were LCS5 and a Canadian Marconi Comapny LTT4. The hand key on the desk was used for the continental code over the radio. A semi-automatic key and telegraph landline sounder for the American or Morse Code (a faster code) was behind the operator.|
|The operations building Camperdown Radio VCS, 1949.||Radar operating position Camperdown Radio VCS September 1949.|
|Radar Antenna Camperdown Radio VCS September 1949||Chebucto Radio VAV 1928. Radio staff house front and lighthouse taken from the radio mast|
|Adcock D/F antenna array for the Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) direction finder, Camperdown Radio VCS September 1949||Port War Signal Station, Camperdown, September 1949.|
|The buildings at VAV were temporary World War I buildings. In 1935 the new station building on the left was built and the station moved to the old VCS site. The VAV call sign was replaced with the VCS call sign. This was the home of VCS from 1935 until 1970. The building on the right is the Camperdown Signal Station. This was put in service during the American Revolution around 1776. This was operated by members of the Army until 1923. This service was then provided by a few civilian signalmen until 1953. This signal building was torn down and replaced by the Port War Signal Station in 1941. The Port War Signal Station was operated by naval signalmen until turned back to the civilian signalmen in 1945.|
|This is the operating position Camperdown Radio VCS from 1935 until 1939.||Click HERE to return to the Halifax Coast Guard front page|